Alaska health care worker suffers adverse reaction after COVID-19 vaccine

A health care worker in Alaska is doing “well” after suffering an adverse reaction minutes after receiving Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine, officials said. The health care worker, who was identified as a middle-aged woman, had an allergic reaction that included flushing and shortness of breath within 10 minutes of receiving the first of Pfizer’s two-dose jab on Tuesday.

She was still being observed in Bartlett Hospital’s foyer at the time of the incident.

The woman, whose name is being withheld, suffered an anaphylactic reaction that required hospitalization and monitoring, and will not be receiving the second dose of the vaccine, officials said during a press briefing on Wednesday. She had no prior history of allergies and took a Benadryl to relieve the symptoms but it did not work.

Once she was admitted to Bartlett Hospital’s emergency room, her symptoms resolved within moments of receiving epinephrine. She also received Pepcid and Benadryl via an intravenous drip, according to a press release. She is in stable condition and is scheduled to be released later Wednesday.

“We expected that a side effect like this could occur after reports of anaphylaxis were made in England after people there received the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine,” said Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Anne Zink. “All sites that are approved to provide vaccinations in Alaska must have medications on hand to deal with an allergic reaction and that was the case in Juneau.”

Alaska health officials said there would be no changes to vaccine distribution plans following the incident, and that the woman had been excited to receive the vaccine.

The adverse reaction is the first such instance in the U.S.

This is a developing story; please check back for updates.

US launches ‘precision’ strike against Syria in response to chemical weapons attack!

9ECA76FA-FCD1-4EE8-8AFE-C40A76846D48

President Trump announced Friday evening that the U.S. has launched a military strike against Syria, in response to the chemical attacks carried out against civilians in Syria last weekend.

“My fellow Americans. A short time ago, I ordered the United States Arrmed Forces to launch from precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapons capabilities of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad. A combined operation with the armed force of France and the United Kingdom is now underway,” Trump said Friday at the White House.

The attack, which happened days ago, killed more than 40 people.

Earlier Friday, Sanders maintained that Trump believed Assad was behind the alleged chemical attack, but did not provide details on why Trump had stalled on reaching a decision on a potential airstrike after Trump announced on Monday a decision would be made “over the next 24-48 hours.”

“Yes, we’re again confident that both Syria had responsibility in this chemical weapons attack but we also hold Russia responsible for their failure to stop chemical weapons attacks from taking place,” Sanders said at the Friday White House press briefing.

Sanders said at the time that no decision concerning an attack had been made, but said that “we are continuing to have ongoing conversations with our partners and allies.”

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said though that the U.S. did not have proof of a chemical attack on Thursday.

In response to an apparent chemical weapons attack on civilians in April 2017, Trump ordered a retaliatory missile strike on a Syrian air base.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!