Man who brutally raped and killed 7-year-old Black girl in casino bathroom seeks parole, writes pathetic apology letter to girl’s family – theGrio

A California man who brutally raped and choked a 7-year-old black girl to death inside a casino bathroom stall is asking for mercy to be released from prison early despite having no parole, reports the Atlanta Black Star.

Jeremy Strohmeyer was 18 when he accosted Sherrice Iverson in a Las Vegas casino in 1997 by raping her and then murdering her inside a bathroom stall.

Strohmeyer avoided the death penalty by admitting guilt and was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Now at age 39, his attorney wants the court to reconsider his case arguing that his brain was underdeveloped at the time of the ruthless killing. But that doesn’t sit well with the detective who investigated the case.

“The innocence of the victim, the brutality of the murder, and the cavalier attitude of the killer,” retired Metro detective Phil Ramos recalled of the incident. “I still remember taking the confession from him and he described in brutal detail how he molested little Sherrice.”

Ozzie Fumo believes that Strohmeyer should be re-sentenced. He argues that his tumultuous childhood, his mother’s mental illness and being put up for adoption, contributed to the killer’s mental state.

Ramos contests that claim.

“He was not immature,” he said of Strohmeyer. “He’s a cold-blooded killer and he should have been put to death for this crime.”

Strohmeyer wrote a letter to Iverson’s family and apologized for the vicious crime.

“I want to ask for their forgiveness, and I want them to know I’d give anything to trade places with Sherrice,” Strohmeyer wrote in a letter to The Las Vegas Review-Journal last year. “I just want them to know I am sorry, more sorry than words can ever say. I wish nothing but peace and good lives for them wherein their lives are not defined by this horrible tragedy as mine has been.”

A judge is expected to review the case in the next three months.

Please SHARE with your friends and family!

Advertisements

He was cleared of a rape charge. He had to show the jury his penis first.

A Connecticut man accused of rape was acquitted this week after employing an unusual defense tactic: dropping his pants in court and showing his penis to the jury.

Defense attorney Todd Bussert said it was “the only real, viable option” in a case where a woman claimed she was raped in 2012 by a person she described as a black man whose penis was lighter than the rest of his body.

In 2014, the woman identified her rapist as Desmond James after seeing his picture in a news report. There was one major issue, according to Bussert: His client’s penis did not match the description the accuser provided.

During the trial, which started Monday in New Haven, Bussert said the defense had planned to use several photographs they had taken of James’s private parts to prove he wasn’t the suspect in question.

“Unfortunately, in one of [the photos], the flash had washed everything out,” Bussert told The Washington Post in a phone interview Saturday. “And given that the color was the issue, that became problematic.”

After disclosing this to the state, Bussert and his team discussed whether they should move forward by presenting all of the photos and explaining the color inconsistencies to the jury — or simply by showing the jury the evidence in the flesh, as it were.

They ultimately made a request to offer “non-testimonial evidence,” which was granted by Judge Elpedio Vitale, who stated it was James’s Sixth Amendment right to defend himself, Bussert said.

[Teen girl files claim against police who mistook her for a black male suspect and punched her]

The difficult part then was convincing their client to expose himself in court, he added.

“He was, I think, very uncomfortable with the whole idea,” Bussert said. “We explained to him why we thought it advanced the defense’s case. It was probably the strongest piece of evidence that we could offer. The whole claim was so specific and so unusual — there wasn’t a lot of ambiguity about it — we thought, well, if we can refute that, we can obviously persuade the jury.”

And so, on Wednesday, after the trial had resumed from a lunch break, Vitale gave a brief warning to the six-person jury, along with two alternates, that they were about to see “sensitive” evidence, Bussert said.

James “stepped up before the jury box and proceeded to unbutton his pants,” Bussert said. “The whole thing took three to five seconds. The court didn’t want to make it a huge thing. … It’s humiliating, ultimately.”

Somehow, court employees had caught wind of what was going to happen after lunch and packed the courtroom to watch, according to the New Haven Register, which first reported the story. The jurors reacted in various ways.

“One of the women looked away. One of the male alternate jurors looked as if he was trying not to have an outburst,” co-defense attorney Erica Barber told the newspaper. “I’m sure they were shocked but they did a good job of not showing it.”

[Brock Turner freed after serving half of his six-month jail sentence for sexual assault]

Prosecutor Stacey Miranda argued in court that James might have changed his pubic hair since 2012 or that the lighting could have caused the accuser to remember her assaulter’s penis differently during the time of the assault.

“You saw the defendant’s penis. What was that?!” Miranda told the jury, according to the New York Post. “It is six years later. Do we have any idea of what she may have been seeing that night? What his manscaping was like at the time? What light was shining on it?”

Despite the prosecution’s protests, the jury ruled James was not guilty on all three counts of first-degree sexual assault.

Bussert, who has practiced law for about 20 years, disputes that he advised his client to expose himself to sensationalize the case or the evidence.

“I can fairly say I never envisioned this scenario in my career where something like this would come up,” he said. “Here it just seemed like the only real viable option … If I felt I had [another] really clear unimpeachable option that would have established the same point, I would have pursued it.”

The jury’s decision does not mean Bussert’s client left the courtroom freely, though. James was convicted last year for home invasion and sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl and is serving a 65-year sentence.

Please SHARE with your friends and family!

White Teen Who Lied About Being Raped By Two Black Men Now Says It Was The Cops’ Fault!

E5AB24FA-41CA-4816-A04E-B864AAD353E9

Mugshot

A white former college student in Connecticut who confessed to making up rape allegations against two black university football players, testified Wednesday that she never told investigators she was sexually assaulted, The Root reports.

This is in sharp contrast to what cops said the 19-year-old Nikki Yovino told them after she went through a rape testing kit at St. Vincent’s Medical Center. During a pretrial hearing in March, Yovino’s attorney, Ryan O’Neill, told Superior Court Judge William Holden, “Our defense is that these two young men did things to her that were a sexual assault and were against her will.”

But during her testimony before Judge Holden on Wednesday, the former Sacred Heart University student insisted at least four times that she never told Bridgeport Police Detective Walberto Cotto or other officers that she had been raped.

“I never told him [Cotto] I was sexually assaulted. I told him that something happened in the bathroom at the party with these two guys, that I didn’t want to happen,” Yovino testified.

Police said Yovino, who now works as a real estate agent, claimed she was raped by two black Sacred Heart University football players during an off-campus party in October 2016. Three months later, however, police said she admitted she had made the allegations up after she was pressed about inconsistencies in her statement.

The two young black men were forced to withdraw from the university after they were stripped of their athletic scholarships, according to The Root.

HIV-positive man arrested, another man wanted in kidnap, rape of 12 year-old boy!

screen-shot-2018-02-02-at-3-29-45-pmL-R: Kevin Walker, Kelvin Armstrong: One man is in custody and police are searching for another accused in the kidnapping and rape of a 12 year-old boy at a Brookhaven apartment complex.

BROOKHAVEN, Ga. — One man is in custody and police are searching for another accused in the kidnapping and rape of a 12 year-old boy at a Brookhaven apartment complex.

Kevin Walker, 46, was arrested around 1 p.m. on Sunday at the complex, located on the 2700 block of Buford Highway. Another suspect, 38 year-old Kelvin Armstrong, is still being sought by police.

According to the Brookhaven Police Department, Walker and Armstrong are accused of grabbing the boy from behind and dragging him into an apartment unit at the complex. Once inside, police say the men held the boy against his will and raped him.

Walker was quickly taken into custody following the incident while Armstrong remains on the loose. Walker is facing charges of possession of meth, aggravated sodomy, aggravated sexual battery, reckless conduct, kidnapping, aggravated child molestation, enticing a child for indecent purposes and first-degree cruelty to children.

Armstrong is described as a black male standing about 5’11” tall and weighing around 160 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes. He’s wanted on charges of aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation and first-degree cruelty to children.

If you have any information on Armstrong’s whereabouts, you’re asked to contact Brookhaven Police at 404-637-0610.

Please SHARE with your friends and family!

Mom admits she let men rape daughters, ages 5 and 6, in exchange for money!!

summerlin

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. — A 25-year-old woman pleaded guilty to allowing two men to sexually assault her two daughters in exchange for cash.

The Office of the Fulton County District Attorney said Friday that the girls, ages 5 and 6, told their guardians that their mother, Morgan Summerlin, would take them to men’s homes to be molested and raped. The men would then pay them and Summerlin would take their money.

One of those men, 78-year-old Richard “Pop” Office, was found guilty on Tuesday of rape, child molestation, trafficking a person for sexual servitude, enticing a child for indecent purposes and sexual battery. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus 146 additional years.

Summerlin also allowed Alfredo Trejo to abuse the girls in multiple and similar ways. Trejo was convicted of rape, sexual battery, child molestation and aggravated child molestation. He was sentenced to 25 years and life on probation.

The children’s grandmother, Teresa Davidson, also pleaded guilty to cruelty to children for failing to protect the girls after they told her they were being abused. She was sentenced to five years in prison.

Summerlin pleaded guilty to cruelty to children, trafficking a person for sexual servitude and enticing a child for indecent purposes. She will be sentenced on June 4.

Please SHARE with your friends and family!

Woman Says She Was Sexually Assaulted at Chris Brown’s Home in Civil Lawsuit!

An unnamed Jane Doe filed a civil lawsuit Wednesday in Los Angeles, suing singer Chris Brown and friend, Lowell Grissom, Jr., alleging that Grissom raped her at Brown’s home in February 2017.

The woman’s identity was not disclosed by her attorney, Gloria Allred, the high-profile attorney who has recently represented various women in suits against men like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby. Allred on Wednesay held a news conference in downtown Los Angeles where she filed the suit.

According to the lawsuit, the woman alleges she was raped by Grissom and forced to perform oral sex on another woman who was present at a party at Brown’s home the night of Feb. 23, 2017. It does not name Brown as partaking in the alleged sexual assault, but says he furnished drugs to his guests.

The lawsuit details a night of drugs, sex, and even the presence of firearms in Brown’s home. The alleged victim says she had her phone taken away and was not reunited with it until hours later, after her mother had called police to the address. According to the suit, the police were not allowed on the property.

The suit says the alleged victim went to a rape treatment center and to the police, where filed a report. The suit seeks general and specific damages, including up to $50,000 in civil penalties, for the alleged sexual battery, gender violence, and other causes of action.

“This is one of the most horrific cases involving alleged sexual assaults that I have ever seen,” Allred said in a statement. “Our client, Jane Doe, has been severely traumatized by what she was forced to suffer.”

A representative for Brown did not return a request for comment. An email seeking comment from Grissom Jr. was not immediately returned.

Please SHARE with your friends and family!

TRANSGENDER INMATE SAYS SHE WAS RAPED TWICE IN CANON CITY MEN’S PRISON!

“She was terrified, absolutely terrified because she had been raped previously while in the male facility, her transgender status had not been respected and she had grave concerns about her safety.”

An inmate who is transgender said she was raped multiple times at a state prison in southern Colorado.

The attorney now representing Lindsay Saunders-Velez’ attorney claims the latest attack happened hours after a judge denied a request to keep her in a safer area.

Paula Greisen with the King & Greisen law firm in Denver is representing Saunders-Velez. Greisen said Saunders-Velez was raped at the men’s prison in Canon City last month.

She said her client was transferred there in spring 2017 after violating probation she had been serving at a female youth correctional facility.

Saunders-Velez filed a lawsuit in July 2017, without any legal help, after other alleged assaults at the men’s prison.

That lawsuit said the state corrections system is “discriminatory and dangerous” for transgender inmates.

Greisen picked up the case in April 2018 after the Transgender Law Center in California asked her to take the case. Greisen said she quickly learned Saunders-Velez was being transferred to an area known as a “punishment pod” after being accused of trying to kiss another inmate.

“She was terrified, absolutely terrified because she had been raped previously while in the male facility, her transgender status had not been respected and she had grave concerns about her safety,” said Greisen.

“As soon as I found out what the situation was, I prepared and filed a restraining order with the federal court to try and protect her from harm,” she added.

A judge denied the request and Saunders-Velez was sent to the “punishment pod” where Greisen said her client was raped a second time and spent a week in the infirmary after the rape.

Greisen said prisons generally house transgender inmates based on the gender on their birth certificates.

“The fact is it’s well documented across this nation that transgender women are raped at an increasingly higher rate, and it’s simply not acceptable,” she said.

The Colorado Department of Corrections said it cannot comment on active litigation.

Please SHARE with your friends and family!