Share or comment on this article:
He made his first appearance since the massacres.
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand—The self-described racist who allegedly carried out massacres in two mosques flashed a white power sign during his first court appearance.
Photos from the brief proceeding showed Brenton Harrison Tarrant, flanked by police, using his shackled hand to make an “OK” symbol that has been appropriated by white supremacists and is also used by right-wing internet trolls.
The 28-year-old Australian personal trainer is charged with one count of murder in connection with the back-to-back mass shootings that left 49 people death and dozens more wounded—but authorities said more charges will be coming. His court-appointed attorney did not apply for bail, and he will be jailed until his next appearance on April 5.
The public was not allowed into the courtroom, which was packed with media. Tarrant wordlessly swayed in the dock, looking back and forth from the gallery to the bench.
Tarrant did not seek a suppression order that would have prevented media from using his name in New Zealand—perhaps not a surprise given his apparent lust for notoriety as evidenced by an online manifesto and a sickening live-stream of the attack.
According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, the symbol Tarrant used was adopted by white nationalists and neo-Nazis “to signal their presence to the like-minded, as well as to identify potentially sympathetic recruits among young trolling artists flashing it.”
Tarrant did not have a criminal record before he turned Friday prayers at two mosques into a bloodbath and “was not known to authorities in connection with far-right violence,” New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said during a press conference Saturday morning.
He began purchasing guns in December 2018, officials said, and allegedly used five legally purchased guns: two semi-automatic weapons, two shotguns and a lever-action firearm.
Tarrant was apprehended in a car in southern Christchurch, according to witnesses. His car had been rigged with explosives, which police said they dismantled.
The prime minister confirmed two other people were in custody though local authorities are still trying to determine if they were actually involved. One was identified as 18-year-old Daniel John Burrough of Christchurch, who was charged with trying to incite racial hatred. No other details were provided and it was unclear if he even knew Tarrant.
A fourth person arrested late Friday night turned out to be just “a member of the public” who was in possession of a firearm and was trying to help police, authorities said. That person was released.
“While the national grapples with a form of anger and grief we have not experienced before, we are seeking answers,” Ardern said on Saturday morning. “We are all grieving together.”
Tarrant allegedly began legally purchasing weapons in December 2018 while “sporadically” traveling in and out of the country, authorities said on Friday in a press conference.
In a press conference Saturday morning, Ardern revealed “the suspect” acquired a category A gun license in December 2018, and began stockpiling firearms shortly after.
“This individual has travelled around the world, with sporadic periods of time spent in New Zealand. They were not a resident of Christchurch, in fact they were currently based in Dunedin at the time of this event,” she said, though she did not identify Tarrant as the suspect.
A Facebook account for a Brenton Tarrant, where the video of the attack was posted, used the nickname Barry Harry Tarry, an apparent play on his full name. The same nickname was used on his Vimeo account.
A Twitter account under the name Brenton Tarrant posted images of black rifles and magazine covered in white writing that matched the weapons seen in the live-streamed video. (The names were of people whose deaths he claimed he was avenging and of racist murderers who he said inspired him.) And the metadata on the online manifesto listed the author as Brenton Tarrant. An 8chan post linked to both the manifesto and the Facebook page.
The rambling manifesto is titled called “The Great Replacement.” The name is a reference to the 2012 book by right-wing French polemicist Renaud Camus that pushes the conspiracy theory that Muslims are replacing the white European and French Catholic cultures. The entire work is filled with anti-Muslim white supremacist vitriol with the clear intent that it would be widely read. He asks and answers questions he clearly wants quoted, much like his Islamophobic idol Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 69 people on a Norwegian island in 2011.
Tarrant’s Twitter account @brentontarrantprofile, from which he published his rambling manifesto was disabled shortly after his alleged shooting spree started. It was just a month old and had 2,018 followers and 63 mostly anti-immigrant tweets. He retweeted stories about white women’s low fertility rates and crimes carried out by Islamic extremists from underground websites and mainstream outlets like the New York Times and Daily Mail.
Tarrant said in the manifesto that he was traveling and “training” for the massacre for the past two years. He reportedly worked as a personal trainer at the Big River Gym in his hometown of Grafton, New South Wales, Australia. He helped disadvantaged children, according to the woman who once supervised him.
“He worked in our program that offered free training to kids in the community, and he was very passionate about that,” Gym manager Tracey Gray told Australia’s ABC news. “I think something must have changed in him during the years he spent traveling overseas.”
His travels took him across Europe and Asia, Gray said. He had worked for cryptocurrency trader Bitconnect and used the money he made to travel to North Korea, where he was photographed visiting the Samjiyon Grand Monument according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
“I honestly can’t believe that somebody I have probably had daily dealings with and had shared conversations and interacted with would be capable of something to this extreme,” Gray told the paper.
He described himself in the manifesto as “just a ordinary White man, 28 years old. Born in Australia to a working class, low income family. My parents are of Scottish, Irish and English stock.” He said his childhood was normal “without any great issues.”
But he goes on to say it wasn’t without problems. “I had little interest in education during my schooling, barely achieving a passing grade,” he wrote. “I did not attend University as I had no great interest in anything offered in the Universities to study.”
Share or comment on this article:
REUTERS/FILE Mark Wahlberg at the premiere of “The Gambler” in November.
With each new year, we welcome fresh starts and second chances. But sometimes, wiping the slate clean is not the right thing to do.
Actor Mark Wahlberg has petitioned Massachusetts for a pardon of violent racial assaults he committed as a teenager. I prosecuted Wahlberg for his actions 26 years ago when I was an assistant attorney general. Now, as a private citizen, I see no reason why that history should be erased from the public record through a pardon. While private acts of reconciliation and forgiveness can be an important part of our shared racial history, that history should never be erased.
Wahlberg made his mark in Boston long before he became famous. He first came to the attention of the attorney general’s office in 1986 when Boston was still under court order to desegregate its public school system and racial tension was high.
WHEN Kristyn Atwood was in Year Four, Mark Wahlberg and his mates pelted rocks at her and her black classmates. She’s still mad, but he wants forgiveness.
A VICTIM of one of Mark Wahlberg’s racially motivated attacks as a teenage delinquent in segregated Boston in the 1980s insists he shouldn’t be granted a pardon for his crimes.
Kristyn Atwood was among a group of mostly black fourth-grade students on a field trip to the beach in 1986 when Wahlberg and his white friends began hurling rocks and shouting racial epithets as they chased them down the street.
“I don’t think he should get a pardon,” Atwood, now 38 and living in Decatur, Georgia, said in an interview with The Associated Press.
“I don’t really care who he is. It doesn’t make him any exception. If you’re a racist, you’re always going to be a racist. And for him to want to erase it I just think it’s wrong,” she said.
Mary Belmonte, the white teacher who brought the students to the neighborhood beach that day, sees things differently. “I believe in forgiveness,” she said. “He was just a young kid — a punk — in the mean streets of Boston. He didn’t do it specifically because he was a bad kid. He was just a follower doing what the other kids were doing.”
Opinion divided … Teacher Mary Belmonte believes Wahlberg should be pardoned for his crimes, but some of her students disagree.
The 43-year-old former rapper, Calvin Klein model and “Boogie Nights” actor wants official forgiveness for a separate, more severe attack in 1988, in which he assaulted two Vietnamese men while trying to steal beer. That attack sent one of the men to the hospital and landed Wahlberg in prison.
Wahlberg, in a pardon application filed in November and pending before the state parole board, acknowledges he was a teenage delinquent mixed up in drugs, alcohol and the wrong crowd. He points to his ensuing successful acting career, restaurant ventures and philanthropic work with inner city youths as evidence he’s turned his life around.
“I have apologized, many times,” he told the AP in December. “The first opportunity I had to apologize was right there in court when all the dust had settled and I was getting shackled and taken away, and making sure I paid my debt to society and continue to try and do things that make up for the mistakes that I’ve made.”
Court documents in the 1986 attack identify Wahlberg among a group of white boys who harassed the school group as they were leaving Savin Hill Beach in Dorchester, a mixed but segregated Boston neighborhood that had seen racial tensions during the years the city was under court-ordered school integration.
The boys chased the black children down the street, repeatedly shouting “n—–” and hurling rocks until an ambulance driver intervened. Wahlberg was 15 at the time.
Atwood says she still bears a scar from getting hit by a rock. No one was seriously injured, but the attack left a lasting impression.
“I was really scared. My heart was beating fast. I couldn’t believe it was happening. The names. The rocks. The kids chasing,” Belmonte told the AP.
Wahlberg and two other white youths were issued a civil rights injunction: essentially a stern warning that if they committed another hate crime, they would be sent to jail.
In 1988, Wahlberg, then 16, attacked two Vietnamese men while trying to steal beer near his Dorchester home.
According to the sentencing memorandum, he confronted Thanh Lam, a Vietnamese man, as he was getting out of his car with two cases of beer. Wahlberg called Lam a “Vietnam f—— s—” and beat him over the head with a 5-foot wooden stick until Lam lost consciousness and the rod broke in two.
Documents say Wahlberg ran up to another Vietnamese man, Hoa Trinh, and asked for help hiding. After a police cruiser drove past, he punched Trinh in the eye. Later, he made crude remarks about Asians.
Wahlberg ultimately was convicted as an adult of two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, marijuana possession and criminal contempt for violating the prior civil rights injunction. He was given a three-month prison sentence, of which he served about 45 days.
Trinh declined to be interviewed by AP, and efforts to locate Lam were unsuccessful.
Judith Beals, a former state prosecutor involved in the cases, said Wahlberg’s crimes stand out because he violated the injunction with an even more violent attack on people of yet another race.
“It was a hate crime and that’s exactly what should be on his record forever,” Atwood said.
Share or comment on this article:
The store’s security cameras told a different story
‘Cornerstone Caroline’ apologizes after incident in Brooklyn store
BROOKLYN, NY (WABC/CNN) – The commotion outside of a Flatbush bodega Wednesday evening quickly drew a crowd.
Teresa Klein, now known as “Cornerstore Caroline” on the internet, loudly accused a 9-year-old boy of grabbing her behind.
“I was just sexually assaulted by a child,” Klein could be heard yelling.
In what has since become a viral video on social media, Klein allegedly told a 9-1-1 dispatcher she needed police immediately, prompting gut-wrenching cries from the boy and his younger sister.
Jason Littlejohn, who lives next door, captured the entire exchange that followed on video and said police never came. He now questions if Klein ever made a call and if she understands the gravity of her accusations.
“She basically said, ‘I’m calling the cops on you.’” Littlejohn explained. “She didn’t say the mom or anybody else. She said, ‘I’m calling the cops on you.’ And that poor little boy, man, wherever he is, whoever he is, hopefully there is millions of people that definitely want to help him out.”
Meanwhile, Klein returned to the bodega Friday and watched the surveillance video from inside the store.
The footage clearly showed the boy’s hands in plain sight, and it was his book-bag that grazed her.
“I was wrong,” Klein admitted. “Young man, I don’t know your name, but I’m sorry.”
Klein claims since the incident, she’s received an overwhelming amount of phone calls and threats and now she can’t walk the streets of Flatbush without fear.
She also claims the boy’s mother threatened her life and she would like to pursue charges against her.
Share or comment on this article
New Ben Garrison Cartoon, “Paper Trained?”
Sarah Jeong now works at The New York Times as a member of its editorial board.
The hiring occurred despite Jeong’s string of blatantly racist tweets attacking white people.
Roseanne Barr made an offensive joke and was promptly fired from her TV show. Jeong posted far worse and she did it repeatedly—yet she was hired. This is leftist hypocrisy at its most blatant. If Jeong had been talking about any other race other than ‘white,’ she wouldn’t have been let into the New York Times building. Alas, white people are considered legitimate targets among leftist bigots, including self-hating whites.
If the Left didn’t have double standards, they would have no standards at all!
Red Wave in 2018!
Share or comment on this article:
RALEIGH, N.C. — Gang activity overall is on the rise in North Carolina, and the sharpest increase is among white supremacist groups, law enforcement officials said Friday.
The major gangs operating in North Carolina are still the Bloods, the Crips and the Gangsters, or Folk Nation, but Tony Taylor, who heads the Special Operations and Intelligence Section of the state Department of Public Safety, said the rise in white supremacy groups is a new development.
“We’re not sure what’s causing it. It’s just a trend we’re starting to see, and we’re trying to figure that out,” Taylor told members of the state Emergency Response Commission. “We don’t know what’s causing it other than this one group that seems to be standing out right now – Bound for Glory.”
Russell Jackson, a DPS intelligence agent, said national groups like the Ku Klux Klan and Aryan Pride also are expanding across the state, including inside the prison system.
“Not only are we seeing them increasing in numbers, but we’re seeing them increasing in violence and violent behavior,” Jackson said.
Law enforcement agencies in other states also have reported similar growth. Organizations that track hate groups have noted increased activity in such groups, even though many social media sites made an effort to block white supremacist groups in the wake of a fatal clash in Charlottesville, Va., last year.
Many white supremacy groups engage in the same criminal enterprises as other gangs, Taylor said, and some gangs have even developed their own dark web apps to communicate out of sight of law enforcement. But he said recruiting is still mostly done via social media or in person.
“Usually, you can see it,” Taylor said. “You see your kid hanging out with people you just know they should not be hanging out with. You start seeing some of the social media stuff that doesn’t look quite right. That’s something I would encourage all parents to do – pay attention to that, because that’s where we get a lot of information from.”1
Law enforcement agencies in most of North Carolina’s 100 counties say overall gang membership is either increasing or holding steady, officials said.
The police show up — and arrests, or angry conversations, or cries of racism follow.
That seemed to be the trajectory of an incident in Memphis earlier this month, but then there was an unusual twist. When the police showed, they backed the black guy.
A wave, then a dispute
On May 5, African-American real estate investor Michael Hayes was inspecting a house he’s interested in buying in a Memphis neighborhood.
He was pulling a board off the boarded-up home’s front down when a woman next door came outside. Hayes said he waved to her. The woman, who is white, asked him what he was doing. He pointed to the sign he had placed in the front yard.
“I told her that I had a contract and that I was an investor,” Hayes, who wanted to get inside the house to take pictures, told CNN. “But she wasn’t listening to that. She didn’t want to hear it.”
She said he had no right to be in her neighborhood and should leave, Hayes said. Then she called the police.
The police show up
At this point Hayes, who often records his activities as a real estate investor for his YouTube channel, pulled out his smartphone and started recording.
He was rolling when a squad car from the Memphis Police Department rolled up. The video shows Hayes explaining why he was at the home to a Memphis police officer.
The officer, soon joined by a second officer, seems to be convinced that Hayes has done nothing wrong and tells him that if he has anymore problems with the woman to call him back over to the house “and she will go to jail today.”
The officer then walks over to the woman’s yard and talks to her, warning her to leave Hayes alone.
“He’s just gonna go in there and do what he’s got to do. You’re going to let him do what he’s going to do,” the officer, motioning to Hayes and the house, says to the woman. “If you try to do anything to stop him, I’m going to take you to jail.”
Hayes then asks if one of the officers will stay on the scene for about five minutes so that he can finish his work.
A police report on the confrontation was not filed because “no criminal act was committed,” Lt. Karen Rudolph of the Memphis Police Department told CNN in a statement. “This incident was handled as an on-scene complaint.”
The woman’s version
Hayes commended the police officers for protecting him, saying the officers “handled it perfectly” and made him feel safe. He also alluded that the woman called the police on him simply because of his race.
“This type of stuff is still going on,” he said in the video. “You know why the lady called the police on me.”
CNN has reached out to the woman, Tiffany Albert, and is waiting to hear back.
But in an interview with CNN affiliate WMC, Alebert said she made her look like a racist.
“I’m Spanish,” Albert said. “My boyfriend is black. It’s nothing racist about it.”
Albert said people used the house to do drugs before the city finally boarded it up. She didn’t want the boards removed, she said.
“It took us so long to get these two houses boarded up,” Albert told the affiliate.
The entire incident shocked Hayes, he told CNN, because “I didn’t give her any reason to believe I was a threat, but she perceived me as a one.”
Please SHARE with your friends and family!