No jail time for Bay Area woman accused of trying to drown baby in McDonald’s toilet

920x920Photo: San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office / / San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office

 

A Redwood City woman accused of trying to drown a baby she had given birth to in a McDonald’s restroom will not serve time in prison, court documents show.

On Friday, Sarah Jane Lockner, 27, was placed on four years supervised probation and one year in county jail with credit for time served. She was also ordered to complete parenting classes.

Lockner took a plea deal in January after prosecutors initially charged her with attempted murder. She instead pleaded no contest to felony child endangerment.

Lockner was employed as a cashier at a McDonald’s in Redwood City and working her shift when, on Sept. 4, 2017, she went to the bathroom multiple times and complained of stomach pains, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.

When coworkers noticed Lockner trailing blood, she said it was because of a heavy period.

A coworker later went to check on Lockner in the bathroom and looked over the stall, where she allegedly saw a newborn baby facedown in the toilet bowl and Lockner’s hand on the child’s back, prosecutors said.

The coworker called police who arrived to find a baby boy that had no pulse and was not breathing, the county district attorney’s office said. The child survived and is currently living with his father’s aunt and has met his milestones, the Mercury News reported.

Prosecutors said Lockner gave birth to another child at home five years earlier. Lockner reportedly said she did not know she was pregnant before either of her two births.

 

Share or comment on this article:

 

 

 

 

Study finds enough fecal matter on McDonald’s touchscreens to put people in the hospital

c4fadcdf-d5ac-4c3b-b4d0-cbc1e18609dc-large16x9_McDsStudy finds enough fecal matter on McDonald’s touchscreens to put people in the hospital. (File photo: KUTV)

 

Researchers tested touchscreens at eight different McDonald’s locations and found fecal bacteria on every one of them, according to findings published in Metro.

The British paper tested six locations in London, and two in Birmingham and found enough bacterial matter to put people in the hospital.

Senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr Paul Matewele told Metro:

We were all surprised how much gut and fecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals. For instance Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital acquired infections.’

Yikes.Researchers noticed that most people would not wash their hands between touching the screens and picking up and eating their meals.One screen tested positive for staphylococcus, a bacteria that can cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome.”Seeing Staphylococcus on these machines is worrying because it is so contagious,” Dr. Matewale said.He continued:

It starts around people’s noses, if they touch their nose with their fingers and then transfer it to the touchscreen someone else will get it, and if they have an open cut which it gets into, then it can be dangerous. ‘There is a lot of worries at the moment that staphylococcus is becoming resistant to antibiotics. However, it is still really dangerous in places like Africa where it can cause toxic shock.

McDonald’s responded to Metro’s investigation saying:

Our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.