The former head football coach at Atlantic High School lost his teaching license after investigations revealed he sexted a female student at the school, made racist statements to players and used profanity.
A former head football coach at Atlantic High School was accused of sexting 15-year-old female students and making racist comments to football players at the Port Orange school in late 2017, recently released investigative reports show.
The allegations resulted in the permanent loss of his teaching license in Florida.
Kendall Bradley denied all the allegations against him and said he did not know they existed.
“During my time at Atlantic, my only focus was to be a positive influence on the students, players, and community,” he said in a statement to The News-Journal this week. “At no point did I communicate or interact inappropriately with any student. Nor was I discriminatory or out of line in my communication with student athletes.”
Public records obtained by The News-Journal outlined a series of complaints that plagued Bradley’s tenure with Volusia County Schools.
Investigative reports from the Volusia County school district, the Port Orange Police Department and the Florida Department of Education show that Bradley lost his job as coach after accusations surfaced that he made racist statements to students.
But after that, he was allowed to substitute teach in the district. And during his time as a substitute more allegations surfaced that Bradley had sent sexual text messages to female students.
Bradley was substitute teaching in Volusia County schools for about a month after law enforcement officers were notified of the sexual text messages, records show.
Port Orange Police spokesman Officer Evan Doyle said officers made contact with the school, but because the incident occurred two years ago, he could not say when.
A police report about the incident does not state that the officers contacted the school district, and there is a gap in the narrative between December 2017 and February 2018. District officials did not remove Bradley from student contact until Feb. 5, 2018, when the father of one of the students notified Atlantic High school officials about the allegations.
No criminal charges were filed against Bradley. The ex-coach’s teaching license was permanently revoked in December 2019.
Throughout the ordeal, Bradley did not speak about the allegations to district investigators and was not contacted by law enforcement. He told state officials he did not wish to contest the charges made against him, the records show.
Bradley started coaching the Atlantic High football team in 2017, and when school started he also taught physical education. He was fired in November 2017.
At the time, Bradley told The News-Journal that he was fired without cause. But district investigators received complaints that he had used inappropriate language in front of students, including derogatory racial statements. The complaints were recorded in his professional standards file. It was the second time he had been warned about using inappropriate language in front of students. Before those complaints were fully investigated, he was released from employment for failing to complete the one-year probationary period of his employment.
Players and their family members complained to the school that Bradley told them to “stop acting black,” read their grades out loud in front of their teammates to embarrass them, and used profanity. During that football season, Atlantic High lost every game it played.
When he was fired, district records show Bradley was disqualified from future employment with Volusia County Schools. But two weeks later, his professional standards file was updated with another memo that declared he was eligible to interview for vacant positions within the schools. That was Dec. 12, 2017.
By Feb. 5, 2018, Bradley was removed from student contact again after a father told officials that Bradley, 31 at the time, had been soliciting sex from two 15-year-old students, an internal report from the school district states.
The inappropriate text exchanges happened on Dec. 3, 2017, the police report stated — less than a week after Bradley lost his coaching job. Copies of the texts between the students and the phone number the school district had on file as belonging to Bradley were included in the district records. In them, he allegedly requested that students meet with him in person, encouraged them to participate in group sex with him and other women, and solicited nude photos of the students.
The Port Orange Police Department was notified of the texts on Dec. 16, 2017. One of the students told an officer that Bradley sent her a nude photo of himself on Snapchat, an app where messages and photos disappear, the police report states.
Officers did not contact Bradley at the time, and did not have evidence of any nude photos being sent, according to the report. They notified the student’s father that if the family wished to pursue criminal charges, he would have to provide a tablet for evidence, but officers did not receive the iPad after multiple reminders. The case was closed due to the uncooperative reporting party, and the report stated it would be reopened if evidence was provided.
Doyle from the Port Orange Police Department said the department could not prosecute without the iPad, without finding evidence of a crime, and without the victim’s parents’ intent to prosecute.
It is also unclear if officers contacted school officials upon hearing the allegations against Bradley. Doyle also said officers believed Bradley had been terminated from his position in the schools, and because of the lack of evidence could not determine if there was probable cause.
The police report was updated in February 2018 to explain that Bradley had been substitute teaching at Spruce Creek High School, and documentation from the school district stated he was removed from student contact on Feb. 5, 2018, after the student’s father notified the Atlantic High School principal of the inappropriate sexual text messages.
At that time, records from the school district stated that Bradley told school officials he did not want to continue working in the district, and that he did not want to address the allegations against him.
The school district closed its investigation and forwarded the information it had obtained to the Florida Department of Education. Bradley did not contest the charges and surrendered his Florida teaching certificate for permanent revocation, which occurred on Dec. 13, 2019.
“As I have just been informed, information that I had no knowledge of, and is not correct, was filed and made public,” Bradley said to The News-Journal. “I have never been approached with, or asked about these situations personally, nor was I made aware that they had been issued when they were.”