A sleepwalking mum has revealed how she woke up in the middle of the night to find herself downing a bottle of bleach as though it was juice.
Andrea Davison, 41, regularly sleepwalks, with her worst episodes happening when she watched her dad and father-in law battle cancer.
Her sleepwalking became gradually more extreme until she woke up one night ‘gulping down bleach’, leading medical staff to fear she was attempting suicide.
Andrea, from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, said she feared for her life when she woke up and realized what had happened, saying: ‘I thought I was going to die. I thought I’d killed myself and that was it.’
The mum-of-four described how the incident happened the same night her dad had been taken into hospital with heart failure.
That night, I woke up drinking bleach. It had burned all my throat… I must have thought it was something to drink. I was holding the bleach bottle in one hand and a ginger nut biscuit in the other.
I have no idea how much of that I’d drank, but I woke up gulping it down like it was juice. I tried to make myself sick then phoned an ambulance. The paramedics could smell it on my breath.
The paramedics believed Andrea had drank the bleach on purpose in an attempt to kill herself, but the charity founder remained adamant that she’d been asleep the entire time.
Because my dad was dying, people thought I wasn’t coping. It was a very bizarre place to be when I wasn’t suicidal. The hospital gave me something to empty my stomach and I was violently sick.
The mother spent the night in Southend Hospital but was released the next day, thankfully making a full recovery.
Andrea suffers with parasomnia, which refers to out of the ordinary things people do while asleep and can include sleepwalking, sleep paralysis, sleep aggression and even sleep sex.
Andrea regularly wakes up in bizarre places, and has occasionally come around to find herself stood in the middle of the garden in her pajamas. She also sleep eats, often waking up to find leftover food she had devoured in her sleep.
Not only that, but the 41-year-old now has to hide her car keys at night after once discovering she had driven to her mum’s house and back while asleep behind the wheel.
The charity founder is now speaking out about her late-night antics in a bid to shine a light on how dangerous sleepwalking really is.
She says she is always ‘shaken up’ when she realizes her sleepwalking has put her life in danger, with her partner now being on guard all the time in case she gets in trouble.
Now if Andrea starts sleepwalking, he will walk her back to bed to prevent anything bad happening to her.
The footage, played in court, shows Morgan splash fuel through a window at Exeter Synagogue and, despite getting engulf in flames, he calmly walks away.
Morgan pats his singed head and drives off in a Mercedes Vito van.
The moment was caught on dramatic CCTV(Image: Plymouth Herald WS)
The Old Bailey heard the defendant carried out the anti-semitic attack on July 21, 2018 – a date that coincided with a Jewish fast day commemorating disasters, including the Holocaust.
The far-right extremist with “deep-rooted anti-Semitic beliefs” laughed after he set fire to a historic synagogue, the judge was told.
Superintendent Matt Lawler, the Local Policing Commander for Exeter, East & Mid Devon said it was ‘sheer chance’ nobody was worshiping in the building at the time.
“Morgan is clearly very unwell and following multiple detailed medical assessments it is clear that a hospital order is appropriate. He will be subject of further assessments and close monitoring for many years to come,” he said.
Tristan Morgan, 51, pours petrol on the religious building
The terrorist firebomber is blasted by flames in Devon
“The footage, which was played in open court, shows the level of planning, determination and intent by Morgan, whom the wider evidence clearly showed held abhorrent extreme right-wing, anti-Semitic, and white supremacist views. It is only by sheer chance that the synagogue was empty and indeed that Morgan himself sustained only minor burns.”
Following a joint investigation by local officers and Counter Terrorism Policing South West working with the special cases unit of the Crime Prosecution Service (CPS), Morgan was charged with collecting information and encouraging terrorism.
And Morgan, of no fixed abode, will be subject of long-term monitoring by the police and partners if he’s ever released.
Morgan, of no fixed abode, was given an indefinite hospital order
Alistair Richardson, prosecuting, said Morgan made songs “exhorting others to violence” against the Jewish community and had an array of material that “revelled in the degenerate views of Nazi Germany and white supremacists”.
He said: “He appeared to be laughing, while trying to flatten his hair, which she described as looking like it had been ‘whooshed up’.”
As he was put in a police van, Morgan said: “Please tell me that synagogue is burning to the ground, if not, it’s poor preparation.”
Later, as his burns were being treated in hospital, he told staff “it was like a bomb going off”.
The synagogue, built in 1763, is the third oldest in Britain and remains a focal point for the Jewish community in the south-west.
President of the Synagogue, Mr Richard Halsey said: “We sincerely thank the local police for their brilliant response and for their thorough investigation and support since the traumatic events of last year.
“In particular we wish to highlight how the community of Exeter has come together to demonstrate the genuine positivity in our city. We live in a wonderful place that has demonstrated tolerance and support for each other at times of need, and the whole Jewish community sincerely appreciates the support we have had from all faiths here in Exeter.
“In October we were thankfully able to return our services to the Synagogue, and in April this year we celebrated a wonderful re-dedication service.
“We are now back in our home, and it is as special as it has always been.”
A hazardous material squad at Berwyn Avenue in Syracuse on Sunday, July 7, 2019.
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – A woman and three children were found dead in a car in Syracuse on Sunday, according to a man who found the bodies.
Police and firefighters are on the scene at Berwyn Avenue but have not confirmed the deaths at this time.
Syracuse Fire Chief Michael Monds, Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh and Syracuse Police Chief Kenton T. Buckner are all on the scene.
Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick this afternoon confirmed to Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard that a woman and 2-3 children had been found dead on Berwyn Avenue.
The discovery of the bodies has left “everyone pretty shook up,” said Fitzpatrick, referring to the witnesses and first responders.
John Crane, a tow truck driver for Epolito’s Towing Company, told Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard this afternoon he found the bodies and called 911.
“It was bad,” he said at the scene.
He said he was called to pick up a Zipcar (ride share) vehicle on Berwyn Avenue when he found the bodies in the car. He said he saw no visible injuries.
Syracuse police and firefighters have shut down Berwyn Avenue, a short street off of East Colvin Street near Interstate 81 and not far from Syracuse University’s Lampe Athletics Complex/Manley Field House.
A fire department hazardous materials truck is on the scene. Other police and fire trucks are on the scene.
Firefighters and police got the call to respond to the street at 1:47 p.m.
Quintin Coleman, a neighbor, said police told him that three kids and a woman were dead.
He said he’s seen the woman in the neighborhood but she kept to herself. He’d never seen a car in the driveway until he saw the Zipcar, a silver Ford Focus, parked in the driveway on July 4.
“She just kept to herself,” Coleman said. “You’d see her bringing her kids to the bus stop when school was in.”
After the discovery and talking to police, Crane stayed on scene, sitting in his red tow truck with the driver’s side door open.
He could be seen holding his head in his hands, recounting what happened to neighbors and smoking a cigarette.
We are on the scene and will update this report as soon as more information becomes available.
YELLOWSTONE volcano has the potential to produce cataclysmic destruction across the US. So, could another California earthquake trigger an eruption at Yellowstone?
Yellowstone volcano: The probability of it happening in the next 1,000 years is “exceedingly low”
A magnitude 6.4 earthquake rattled the nerves of Southern California residents yesterday, with the quake’s epicentre only 115 miles (182km) northeast of Los Angeles. Although relatively benign, the California earthquake revived concerns the area surrounding the notorious San Andreas fault line is due another Big One – a magnitude 8 or higher quake. This thought has also led some to wonder whether another, more powerful, California earthquake could to trigger another Yellowstone supervolcano eruption. Ben Edwards, a law professor at Universit of Las Vegas, tweeted: “I had a flash of terror that maybe Yellowstone had actually gone off and I’d need to strike out in some direction to try to escape the ash cloud.”
Could another California earthquake trigger a Yellowstone volcanic eruption?
While an eruption at Yellowstone in the distant future is possible, the probability of it happening in the next few thousand years is “exceedingly low,” according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).
The magma lurking in Yellowstone’s shallow reserve is between just five and 15 percent molten.
And an eruption usually requires at least 50 percent to gel in this gooey molten state.
More likely than such an explosion is a lava flow – a spurt of slowly oozing molten rock.
Yellowstone volcano: An eruption usually requires at least 50 percent molten magma
Although a lava flow can pose hazards for communities that lie in its path or spectators attempting to approach close enough to roast a marshmallow, those dangers are much easier to predict and avoid.
However, there are rare historic precedents for magnitude 6 or greater earthquakes with linked to a subsequent eruption or at a nearby volcano.
The exact triggering mechanism for these historic examples is not well understood, but the volcanic activity probably occurs in response to severe ground shaking caused by the earthquake or a change to the pressure in the Earth’s crust.
For example, in November 1975, a large magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck Hawaii’s Big Island.
It was centred about 17 miles (28km) southeast of Kilauea Volcano, which proceeded to erupt.
A volcano such as Yellowstone is considered “super” if an explosion has ever released more than 240 cubic miles of material.
Little in reality is really understand about supervolcano triggers.
This is true, thankfully, because no supervolcano has ever been active enough to study in detail.
USGS studies have estimated an eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano might be 1,000 times more powerful than the 1980 Mount St Helen eruption, which spewed a combination of magma, vapour, rocks and gases into the air.
Yellowstone volcano: An eruption at Yellowstone in the distant future is possible
Yellowstone volcano: Another California earthquake trigger will not trigger a Yellowstone eruption
The explosion’s grizzly aftermath saw 57 people die and molten ash spread for more than 1,000 miles (1,500km).
Yellowstone’s supervolcano has erupted on three major occasions.
The supervolcano last erupted 174,000 years ago and last flowed with lava around 70,000 years ago.
The first eruption 640,000 years ago, creating the famous Yellowstone Caldera, a volcanic crater measuring 30 miles (48km) wide and 44 miles (72km) across.
Powerful tremor strikes 125 miles north of Los Angeles
Communities already assessing damage from 4 July quake
Officials in southern California’s high desert are braced for strong, potentially dangerous aftershocks from a major earthquake that damaged buildings, ruptured gas lines and sparked numerous fires near its remote epicenter.
The magnitude 7.1 tremor rocked the Mojave desert town of Ridgecrest near Death Valley National Park as darkness fell on Friday, jolting the area with eight times more force than a 6.4 quake that struck the same area 34 hours earlier.
Southern California can expect more significant shaking in the near future, said Lucy Jones, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology and a former science adviser at the US Geological Survey.
There is about a one in 10 chance that another 7.0 quake could hit within the next week and the chance of a 5.0-magnitude quake “is approaching certainty”, Jones told reporters, adding that the new quake probably ruptured along about 25 miles of fault line and was part of a continuing sequence.
California governor Gavin Newsom requested federal assistance and placed the state Office of Emergency Services (OES) on its highest alert.
“We have significant reports of fires, structural fires, mostly as a result of gas leaks or gas line breaks,” OES director Mark Ghilarducci told a late-night news conference.
The quake caused water main breaks and knocked out power and communications to parts of Ridgecrest, a city of about 27,000 about 125 miles north-east of Los Angeles. No fatalities or serious injuries were reported, police said. But Ghilarducci said the full damage would not be known before daybreak on Saturday.
“This was a very large earthquake, and we also know there’s going to be a series of aftershocks as a result of the main quake,” he said, adding his agency faced a “challenge” getting needed resources to the isolated quake zone.
“This is not going to be something that’s going to be over right away.”
In the hours after the 7.1 tremor, seismologists recorded more than 600 aftershocks. The quakes were not expected to trigger larger faults including the San Andreas.
Ridgecrest, where residents were still recovering from Thursday’s quake, again took the brunt of the damage. Most occurred came from ruptured gas lines. About 3,000 residents were without power, according to Southern California Edison. Many said they preferred to sleep outside than risk staying in their homes.
Megan Person, director of communications for the Kern county fire department, said the county had opened an emergency shelter. A rockslide closed state route 178 in Kern River Canyon, where photos from witnesses showed that a stretch of roadway had sunk.
San Bernardino county firefighters reported cracked buildings and one minor injury. In downtown Los Angeles, 150 miles away, offices in skyscrapers rolled and rocked for at least 30 seconds.
Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles fire department told KNX-AM radio more than 1,000 firefighters were mobilized. At Dodger Stadium the press box lurched for several seconds.
Reports said the quake rocked chandeliers and rattled furniture as far away as Las Vegas, and the US Geological Survey said it was felt in Mexico too. In Vegas, players and staff left the court after the earthquake was felt during an NBA summer league game between the New York Knicks and the New Orleans Pelicans.
Friday’s quake came as communities in the Mojave were assessing damage after several fires and multiple injuries caused by Thursday’s quake. That quakeopened three cracks across a short stretch of state route 178 near the tiny town of Trona, said California transportation spokeswoman Christine Knadler. Bridges were being checked.
The pair of quakes were the most powerfulto strike the region since 1994, when the 6.7 magnitude Northridge quake hit the heavily populated San Fernando Valley. That event caused 57 deaths and billions in dollars of damages from collapsed buildings and destroyed freeways.
Southern California residents should expect more earthquakes in coming years, experts warned.
“This is the first magnitude 6 quake in 20 years. It’s the longest interval we’ve ever had,” Jones told the Guardian. “We know that the last 20 years was abnormal … we should expect more earthquakes than we’ve been having recently.”
She added: “Chances are, we’re going to have more earthquakes in the next five years than we’ve had in the last five years.”
Los Angeles on Friday revealed plans to lower slightly the threshold for public alerts from its earthquake early warning app. The technology gave scientists at the California Institute of Technology’s seismology lab 48 seconds of warning but did not trigger a public notification.
“Our goal is to alert people who might experience potentially damaging shaking, not just feel the shaking,” said Robert de Groot, a spokesman for the US Geological Survey’s ShakeAlert system, which is being developed for California, Oregon and Washington.
The west coast ShakeAlert system has provided non-public earthquake notifications on a daily basis to test users including emergency agencies, industries, transportation systems and schools. Late last year, the city of Los Angeles released a mobile app intended to provide ShakeAlert warnings for users within Los Angeles county.
The trigger threshold for the app required a magnitude 5 or greater and an estimate of level 4 on the separate Modified Mercali Intensity scale, the level at which there is potentially damaging shaking.
Although Thursday’s quake was well above magnitude 5, the expected shaking for the Los Angeles area was level 3, de Groot said. A revision of the magnitude threshold down to 4.5 was under way, but the shaking intensity level would remain at 4. The rationale is to avoid numerous ShakeAlerts for small earthquakes that do not affect people.
“If people get saturated with these messages, it’s going to make people not care as much,” he said.
California is partnering with the federal government to build the system, with the goal of turning it on by June 2021. The state has already spent at least $25m building it, including installing hundreds of seismic stations throughout the state.
On June 19, 2019 in the House Budget Committee, Pastors Latasha Fields and David Mahan faced off against Rep. Illian Omar (D-MN) and other supporters of socialism. CURE President Star Parker introduces Pastor Fields who shared her personal life story and eloquently defended the importance of hard work. Former President Lyndon Johnson’s “War on Poverty” has failed, but liberty and pro-growth policies are lifting our most distressed communities out of poverty. Watch the enite 3-hour hearing: https://budget.house.gov/legislation/… Visit CURE, Star Parker’s non-profit organization: http://urbancure.org Visit Star Parker’s official site: http://starparker.com/
An Australian family is still grieving over the unexpected loss of their father, who fell gravely ill allegedly after eating a gecko on a dare.
David Dowell was reportedly challenged to eat the small lizard at a Christmas party last year, and was rushed to the hospital two days later in “absolute agony.”
“It was a dare but I don’t know if it was a serious one, I was paying attention but not really because it was a Christmas party and the kids were invited,” Allira Bricknell, the 34-year-old’s longtime partner,