Attorney For Nipsey Hussle’s Alleged Killer Quits

7FSI7IRWPFDHPMT4QLTXBKYW54 (1)

The infamous lawyer is no longer representing Eric Holder, the 29-year-old suspect accused of killing Nipsey Hussle. According to TMZ, he filed a motion to withdraw as Eric’s defense attorney and appeared as his attorney for the last time at a Friday (May 10) hearing in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Attorney Darden said he’s received a number death threats since taking Holder’s case, telling TMZ, “It’s the same ‘ol thing like in 1995 except this time folks are upset saying I shouldn’t represent a probable, mentally ill African American man who’s charged with murder. I’ve received threats, my family, my children have been harassed and threatened and it’ really outrageous and I’m really kind of sick of it.”

“I don’t know when people are going to realize that I’m already battle-tested,” he continued. “I don’t play that. I doesn’t interfere with what I do. I continue to practice law and represent clients to the best of my ability, but you have these people that are saying these things and are really creating security issues for me and my family. Nobody can bully me […] I’m a lawyer sworn to uphold the constitution that’s what I do everyday and included in the constitution is the 6th amendment — the right of every man charged with a crime the counsel of his choice.”

He concluded his interview saying he wished people turned their attention to gun violence instead of intimidating him.

FTOHJPSXFQI6TKUDKBHQQ27V2Y

Darden added in a statement: “Just as they were in 1995-Cowards never change. These days these cowards don’t send letters instead they sit anonymously behind keyboards threatening a man’s mother and children […] To those who issued those threats to my children please pay close attention so there is no misunderstanding. Later. F**K YOU!”

Eric is accused of murdering Nipsey outside his Marathon clothing store on March 31. The 29-year-old murder suspect was charged with one count of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon. He entered a not guilty plea last month.

 

Share or comment on this article:

 

Advertisements

Debate grows over bill allowing undocumented immigrants to have NYS drivers licenses

1505b141-c2c4-46c2-ae5f-673c106dd229-large16x9_5c8fccb45c1a8.imageDebate grows over bill allowing undocumented immigrants to have NYS drivers licenses (DMV)

 

The New York Immigration Coalition protested a press conference held by the NY Conservative Party in Liverpool on Saturday that discussed preventing legislation that would allow undocumented immigrants to get an NYS drivers license.

The Green Light NY Bill, which would allow undocumented immigrants the ability to get their drivers license, has gained momentum in Albany as Democrats in the State Assembly say they plan to move ahead in passing the bill.

“The experience in other states shows that allowing undocumented immigrants access to driver’s licenses would make the roads safer for everyone as all drivers would need to pass the same tests to get a license. And studies show that in states where undocumented immigrants have access to driver’s licenses, there has been a reduction in traffic fatalities and the number of uninsured cars on the road,” Steven Choi, executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition, said.

In response to the bill, Rep. John Katko, said, “I oppose giving driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants. Rather than legitimizing illegal immigration, policymakers at all levels of government should be focused on creating a comprehensive solution on immigration that balances the needs of our economy, immigrants and their families, and strong national security.”

If the bill passes, New York would be joining 12 other states that already allow undocumented immigrants the ability to drive, including California and Utah.

 

Share or comment on this article:

700-POUND ALLIGATOR FOUND IN GEORGIA DRAINAGE DITCH

694940094001_6009311124001_6009331332001-vs

The photo of the 13-foot alligator is totally real, according to wildlife officials.

On Feb. 18, Brent Howze, a wildlife biologist with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, found a “massive” alligator, which was 13 feet, 4 inches and weighed approximately 700 pounds.

He found the gator in an irrigation ditch by Lake Blackshear near Albany, where it appeared to be slowly dying.

“It was a very old alligator in poor body condition with what appeared to be gunshot wounds,” Howze told the Cordele Dispatch. “It was an unfortunate situation, but the best thing for the animal was to put it down.”

In an interview with USA TODAY, DNR spokesperson Sarah Hanson said this wasn’t even the largest alligator to some out of the Peach State. That title apparently belongs to a 14-foot, 1-inch alligator that was found in 2015.

Additionally, she verified the photo was absolutely real, as did Howze, who’s seen kneeling behind the massive gator.

“Apparently a lot of people think it’s fake, but I can assure you that it’s not,” Howze told the Cordele Dispatch. ” I’m the one in the picture, and you can probably tell that I didn’t get too close to it.”

Howze also said people shouldn’t stress too much about the presence of alligators in local waters, as they essentially pose no threat to humans.

“There’s only one way for an alligator to live this long, and it’s by avoiding humans,” he said. “I’ll be in the water at Lake Blackshear this summer for sure.”

According to a DNR fact sheet, male alligators can actually grow up to 16 feet in length, although it’s extremely rare.

 

Share or comment on this article:

Steve Harvey Daytime Talk Show to End After Battle Between NBCUniversal and IMG

steve-key-art

Steve Harvey’s syndicated daytime talk show “Steve” will end its run in June.

The writing was on the wall for the show last September year when NBC cut a deal with Kelly Clarkson for a talk-variety hour to launch in the fall. “The Kelly Clarkson Show” will move into the prime daytime slots occupied on NBC O&Os by Harvey’s show for the past seven seasons.

“Steve” taped its final episode on Thursday. Originals will air through June and the show will remain on the air in reruns through September.

The demise of “Steve” raises the question of whether Harvey’s show was a casualty of animosity between NBCUniversal and Endeavor’s IMG Original Content over IMG’s takeover of the show two seasons ago.

Harvey’s entry into the daytime talk arena began in 2012 with “The Steve Harvey Show,” co-produced by Endemol Shine North America and NBCUniversal and distributed by NBCUniversal Television Domestic Television Distribution. That show was taped in Chicago and featured Harvey more in the Oprah Winfrey/Phil Donahue host mode, albeit with his signature humor. The show was one of the few new entries in daytime to deliver solid, if not spectacular, ratings. This season, it has averaged about 1.8 million viewers a week, putting it at No. 5 among syndicated talk shows behind “Dr. Phil,” “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” “Live with Kelly and Ryan” and “Maury.”

After his initial five-year deal with Endemol ended, Harvey in 2016 opted to cut a deal with IMG Original Content to produce a new version of the show, renamed “Steve,” that relocated to Los Angeles starting with season six in fall 2017. The new show put more emphasis on celebrity guests and comedic segments. IMG offered Harvey a much larger ownership stake in the show, a higher salary and more creative control over the production. The deal commanded attention in the industry because IMG is a corporate sibling of WME, which represents Harvey, raising the specter of conflict of interest as IMG became Harvey’s production partner.

NBCUniversal executives were furious at losing their stake in Harvey’s show after the transition to IMG, even though it remained the distributor of “Steve.” The new version of the show also remained in its time slots on the NBC O&Os in crucial major markets, but it was no surprise when NBC moved to develop a high-profile new show to replace “Steve.”

A rep for Endeavor, the corporate parent of IMG, declined to comment. A rep for Harvey could not immediately be reached for comment. A source close to the situation asserted that Harvey has no regrets about making the shift to IMG. “Steve took a shot,” the source said. “He still made more money than he would have under the old deal.” An industry observer unconnected to the show noted that the tussle reflected the strain between talent with clout trying to exert more control, with help from nontraditional partners such as agency-affiliated production entities and private equity backers, and the renewed focused by the largest media conglomerates on owning the vast majority of the content carried on their networks.

IMG spent the past few months looking for new stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and other major markets to keep Harvey on the air in syndication. “Steve” was also shopped to cable and digital buyers. The show has ramped up the production of digital content in recent months, and there’s chatter that Harvey may establish a digital platform, possibly with Facebook, to showcase the kind of comedic and topical segments that have proven popular on the daytime show.

Despite the demise of “Steve,” Harvey will continue to be a regular presence on TV. He’s the host of syndicated game show “Family Feud,” from Lionsgate’s Debmar-Mercury, and he is in demand as an emcee for numerous specials including the annual Miss Universe pageant and Fox’s “New Year’s Eve with Steve Harvey: Live From Times Square.”

Share or comment on this article: