Police: Stepmom intentionally set 5-year-old’s face on fire

188f15ed-86e6-4e1a-9194-27f28e08c18e-large16x9_dallas

 – A North Texas woman was arrested after police said she intentionally set her stepdaughter’s face on fire.

Grand Prairie police arrested 20-year-old Dalia Jimenez and charged her with felony injury to a child.

On Monday, officers responded to a report about her 5-year-old stepdaughter needing medical treatment for facial burns.

Jimenez told the officers the little girl was injured when she got too close to a candle. But, police said there were inconsistence in her story.

Jimenez ultimately confessed that she intentionally poured rubbing alcohol on her stepdaughter’s face and used a lighter to set it on fire. She admitted she was trying to punish her for yelling, police said.

Child Protective Services removed the injured girl and her younger sibling from the home. Both are now safe with other family members.

Police said the children’s father was not home at the time. He is not expected to face any charges.

Jimenez was released from the Grand Prairie jail after paying bond.

 

Share or comment on this article:

Advertisements

PICTURED: Man, 33, who died in hospital after setting himself on fire outside the White House while wearing a USA t-shirt

  • WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
  • Arnav Gupta is the man who was filmed setting himself on fire on Wednesday 
  • The 33-year-old had been reported missing by his family earlier that day 
  • He died in the hospital after suffering burns to 85 percent of his body
  • Disturbing video footage showed him calmly walking across Ellipse park then setting himself on fire
  • US Secret Service Agents put out the blaze and took him to the hospital  

The man who set himself on fire on a lawn near the White House on Wednesday has died in the hospital after suffering burns to 85 percent of his body.

Arnav Gupta, 33, was identified by US Park Police on Thursday after dying in the hospital.

He had been reported missing by his family around the time that he was seen setting himself on fire on a lawn at Ellipse Park near the White House.

Gupta was from Bethesda, Maryland. His motive for the deadly stunt remains unclear.

He was reported missing by his family after leaving his home at 9.20am. Three hours later, he was filmed setting himself on fire.

Scroll down for video 

Arnav Gupta, 33, was identified by US Park Police on Thursday after dying in the hospital

14114022-7083457-A_man_set_himself_on_fire_Wednesday_near_the_White_House_with_di-m-18_1559167157613 (1)A man set himself on fire Wednesday near the White House with disturbing footage showing him engulfed in flames, the Secret Service said. Shockingly, the unidentified individual managed to stand upright before security ran towards him to extinguish the flames

The Secret Service was not immediately available for more information on Thursday morning.

Video of the incident showed him walking calmly across the Ellipse near the Washington Mall, an area popular with tourists, with flames covering his body.

Several seconds later, U.S. Secret Service staff could be seen towards him with a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.

It occurred less than a mile from the White House.

He managed to stand upright before officials got to him, amid reports that he was wearing a protective suit which would have given him some protection from the flames.

Gupta suffered burns on 85 percent of his body and there was a suspicious package on fire near him which was also extinguished, according to TMZ.

He was later transported to a nearby hospital with ‘life threatening’ injuries.

More than 70 officers flocked to the scene from multiple agencies. Several tourists and visitors were in the vicinity, but there were no other injuries reported.

National Park Service police and the U.S. Secret Service officers also assisted at the scene to try and establish what happened in Washington D.C.

White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said he could not immediately comment.

According to his official schedule, Donald Trump was in the Oval Office at the time for a ceremonial swearing-in of the President and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Export-Import Bank of the United States.

A spokesman for the National Park Service, which maintains the White House grounds, told DailyMail.com: ‘At 12:22 p.m., officers from the United States Park Police and United States Secret Service responded to a report of an adult male who reportedly lit himself on fire on the Ellipse near 15th and Constitution Avenue.

14112870-7083457-He_later_drops_to_the_ground_as_he_doused_with_a_fire_extinguish-m-19_1559167353092

He later drops to the ground as he doused with a fire extinguisher to put out the fire 

14112868-7083457-The_man_s_motive_is_not_known_but_it_is_understood_he_was_transp-m-20_1559167394999

His motive  is not known but it is understood he was transported to a nearby hospital

14113202-7083457-National_Park_Service_police_were_seen_rendering_medical_aid_to_-m-21_1559167407629 (1)National Park Service police were seen rendering medical aid to him a short time later

 

‘USSS personnel extinguished the fire within seconds. The individual was transported to a local hospital for treatment.

‘The incident is under investigation. No additional information is available at this time.’

A spokesman for the Washington Fire Department said: ‘I can confirm that we’ve transported one patient with burns from the Ellipse and we’re now on the scene assisting law enforcement.’

The Ellipse is a 52-acre park located south of the White House fence and north of Constitution Avenue and the National Mall.

There have been several security incidents in recent years in the vicinity of the White House, due in part to its location in the middle of D.C., with a number of streets approaching it.

On April 12, a man in a wheelchair-type electric scooter lit his jacket on fire outside the White House fence.

That man was hospitalized with what appeared to be non-life threatening injuries.

Crews are due to begin work on installing a larger fence around the White House as part of security improvements beginning this summer.

The existing fence will be replaced with a structure that will be about 13 feet tall, an increase of about five feet.

14110404-7083457-image-a-85_1559150998060

Share or comment on this article:

Bronx high school student killed herself after bullies tormented her and school officials turned their backs: lawsuit

IBJVWBVCNBCGHJM4LPTBOW22RYMya Vizcarrondo-Rios

 

A Bronx high schooler who jumped to her death was relentlessly bullied at school for five months and sexually assaulted on the day of her death — and her school administrators repeatedly ignored her cries for help and never told her mom and dad about her torment, a lawsuit by her parents alleges.

School was still in session on Feb. 28, 2018, when Mya Vizcarrondo-Rios’ broken body was found on the ground 34 stories from the rooftop of the apartment building in which she lived.

The ninth-grader still had her backpack on.

Her father, Heriberto Rios, was home at the time, certain that his little girl was still in school.

Rios told the Daily News that his daughter was a happy girl who doted on her dad. He said she left for school that morning excited about a performance and teased him before she walked out the door.

Rios later learned that Mya had been sexually assaulted that day in the unsupervised auditorium of Harry S. Truman High School, where she and other students had the performance. According to the lawsuit, after the assault students in the school made fun of Mya.

Rios said the forced oral sex followed at least five months of torment by malicious students who body shamed her, pulled her hair and physically assaulted her.

A guidance counselor and the school’s principal, Keri Alfano, knew about the bullying, but her teachers and school officials didn’t think enough about her absence that day to go looking for her before she died, the lawsuit alleges. The principal did not immediately return a call for comment.

Mya didn’t just accept the abuse, her heartbroken dad said. She reported the activity to school officials, but they allegedly sent her back to class, never notifying her parents about her complaints. Mya didn’t tell her parents, either.

When Rios confronted his daughter about her mounting school absences — she had near-perfect attendance before the bullying started — she just told him she was having difficulty in a couple of classes.

“I asked what was going on,” Rios said. “She said she was having trouble, but she didn’t tell me she was being bullied. She didn’t tell me about this. I found out after she passed. The school never told me about the cutting (classes).”

The distraught dad and the girl’s mother, Nelly Vizcarrondo, are suing the city, the Education Department and school administrators.

Rios was home when cops knocked on his door at about 2 p.m. to tell him they’d found his daughter. She was rushed to Jacobi Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.

“She was an honor roll student,” Rios said. “She had so many plans. She wanted to go to college.”

Mya’s parents were called into a meeting with her counselor about her attendance, but they say the counselor, who’s not named in the lawsuit, never told them about the bullying.

In fact, Mya told the counselor what was going on, but was sent back to class. The counselor said she needed to investigate Mya’s claims, but no investigation apparently took place, the lawsuit alleges. Mya also told Alfano she was being bullied, the lawsuit alleges.

“(Mya) was ignored and simply sent back to class without any intervention by the school,” the lawsuit said. Again, her parents were never told about what was happening to their daughter.

The day before her death, one of Mya’s friends told the counselor Mya was having problems, so the counselor visited her in gym class, and wrote down on a review card that she would tell her parents to be on the lookout for any signs of emotional distress, the lawsuit alleges.

But that notification never came, and on Feb. 28, 2018, two boys took her to the back of an unsupervised auditorium and forced her to perform sex acts on them, the lawsuit alleges.

In the January meeting about Mya’s attendance, her parents were told that she would have to sign in at every class, the lawsuit alleges. The parents now claim that was a misrepresentation — if she had to sign in, someone would have noticed she left early, and started looking for her before she died.

Shortly after the girl’s death, the one bully named in the lawsuit was transferred, and the guidance counselor was fired, the lawsuit alleges.

“The tragic circumstances surrounding my client’s death could have been prevented,” said John Scola, the family’s lawyer.

“We hope that this case will cause the Department of Education to reevaluate their policies and properly train their employees on issues related to bullying so that no student feels so hopeless they believe suicide is the answer. We hope that this case will prevent helpless students from taking their own lives in the future.”

Education Department officials said the city put $8 million into initiatives targeting bullying, including training and online resources.

“This was a tragic loss, and students deserve safe and supportive school environments,” said department spokesman Doug Cohen. “We recognize the deep impact bullying can have, and schools are required to immediately investigate and address any allegation. We’ll continue to invest in anti-bullying and safe schools initiatives.”

“It wasn’t like she was depressed all the time and didn’t care about anything,” Rios said. “She was just always there trying to help.”

 

Share or comment on this article:

 

 

 

One officer involved in the city’s massive corruption scandal said officers kept the replicas “in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them.”

Umarex+Glock+19+CO2+BB+Pistol+CO2+Cover+Off

Last week, the beginning of an explosive corruption trial involving eight members of Baltimore’s elite Gun Trace Task Force revealed that a handful of Baltimore cops allegedly kept fake guns in their patrol cars to plant on innocent people—a failsafe they could use if they happened to shoot an unarmed suspect, the Baltimore Sun reports.

Detective Maurice Ward, who’s already pleaded guilty to corruption charges, testified that he and his partners were told to carry the replicas and BB guns “in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them.” The directive allegedly came from the team’s sergeant, Wayne Jenkins, the Washington Post reports. Though Ward didn’t say whether or not the tactic was ever used, Detective Marcus Taylor—another cop swept up in the scandal—was carrying a fake gun almost identical to his service weapon when he was arrested last year, according to the Sun.

The revelation is just one of many egregious abuses that have come out of the sprawling trial that theSun has called “Baltimore’s biggest police corruption scandal in memory.” Prosecutors say the squad, which was tasked with getting illegal guns off the streets, abused its power by robbing suspects and innocent people, raiding homes without warrants, and selling confiscated drugs, among other crimes.

But the BB gun testimony is particularly disturbing in light of 12-year-old Tamir Rice’s death in 2014, the 13-year-old in Baltimore who was shot twice by cops in 2016 after he allegedly sprinted from them with a replica gun in his hand, and the 86 people fatally shot by police in 2015 and 2016 who were spotted carrying toy guns.

Six of the eight task force members charged in the corruption scandal have pleaded guilty to racketeering charges, but Taylor and Detective Daniel Hersl have pleaded not guilty. They’re currently on trial while several of their former partners testify against them.

 

Share or comment on this article:

Small dog euthanized after being raped, man sentenced to 60 days in jail

An Oregon man has been sentenced to jail for the rape of a dog that left the animal with such severe injuries, it had to be euthanized.

According to the Oregonian, 52-year-old Fidel Lopez was sentenced to 60 days in jail and three years probation after pleading guilty to first-degree aggravated animal abuse and sexual assault of an animal.

The 60-day jail sentence is the most that is allowed under Oregon sentencing guidelines.

“If it could have been more, I gladly would have given you more time,” the judge said.

Police began investigating after Fidel Lopez’s fiancée reported to police that she found her small Lhasa Apso mix whining and hiding beneath the couch on Nov. 18, 2018. In a probable cause affidavit, detectives said, upon moving the couch, she found blood and injuries to the dog’s hind end.

The woman took the dog to get medical attention, but the animal was later put down due to significant internal injuries.

Detectives said Lopez’s fiancée requested that a rape kit be done on the animal because Lopez had expressed an interest in bestiality and asked her if she would ever consider getting a larger dog.

Investigators said DNA evidence ultimately linked Lopez to the crime.

In addition to his jail sentence, Lopez will be prohibited from owning pets for 15 years and must undergo a mental health evaluation and complete a counseling program.

Share or comment on this article:

Marijuana left in washing machine causes fight in Florida

Ashley Perkins, 30. (Credit: Santa Rosa County Jail)

 

Marijuana left in washing machine causes fight in Florida

Florida authorities say a Louisiana woman beat her wife with a bedpost, apparently upset her spouse put their marijuana through a washing machine.

The Pensacola News Journal reports that 30-year-old Ashley Perkins of Youngsville, Louisiana, was released from jail Thursday after being charged with aggravated battery.

The Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office said Perkins and her wife were arguing over missing marijuana when the fight escalated. Investigators say Perkins began hitting her wife with a bedpost around her head, legs and left arm.

Perkins told investigators her wife beat herself with the bedpost. Jail records didn’t list a lawyer or contact information for Perkins.

The couple was in the area visiting relatives.

 

Share or comment on this article:

Man ‘Caught Masturbating Near Woman Doing Squats’ Banned From Gym For Life

masturbation-gym-fbA man from South Africa has been banned from a gym for life after he was allegedly caught masturbating near a woman who was doing squats.

 

Footage shows the man – who has not been named – seated on an exercise mat with a towel over his lap, mere yards away from other gym goers.

He had placed one hand inside his pants, and could be seen moving it around vigorously while looking at a phone in his other hand. He was seated closely to a woman who was using a kettlebell to practice squats.

The footage was taken by a gym goer at a branch of Virgin Active in the university town of Stellenbosch, in South Africa’s Western Cape. It has since been widely shared on social media, causing repulsion and anger.

gymmasturbate

The shocking footage was shared on social media with the caption: ‘I want this man’s face to go viral. This was at the Virgin Active in Stellenbosch @virginactiveSA. Absolutely abysmal behaviour’.

The Virgin Active Twitter account responded to this with the following tweet, ‘Hi! We agree and action has been taken’.

Virgin Active spokesperson Carla White has since made the following statement to News 24:

Virgin Active is aware of a video circulating on social media and WhatsApp.

Our clubs are shared spaces and we will absolutely not tolerate depraved behaviour. We commenced our investigation as soon as we received the video.

We have identified the member in question and have terminated his membership with immediate effect.

It is unclear at this point whether or not this man will face criminal consequences for his alleged actions.

Sam Snayer@sam_snayer

People making fun of that Stellenbosch Gym Video is sick. What that guy did to that woman is sexual harassment.

See Sam Snayer’s other Tweets

His ‘disturbing’ and ‘disrespectful’ behaviour has been widely condemned on social media, with people warning how this sort of thing really shouldn’t be treated lightly.

One person tweeted:

That man who decided that masturbating in a gym in Virgin Active was a sexual predator. And the reactions to the video show a massive gap in the way we treat men who commit the crimes and the women who experience them.

Another said:

People making fun of that Stellenbosch Gym Video is sick. What that guy did to that woman is sexual harassment.

O-Ren Ishii@AndiSachs

Has the Stellenbosch wanker been caught/exposed/banned from the gym?

See O-Ren Ishii’s other Tweets

No one has the right to make others feel uncomfortable at the gym, which should provide a safe and supportive environment for everyone.

Well done to Virgin Active for making it clear that this sort of behaviour should never be tolerated.

Share or comment on this article: